Whole SEO community faced a drone this week, due to the latest updates from Google algorithm, named penguin 2.1. The latest update of penguin 2.1 has affected almost 1% of search queries which is quite a lot. The Penguin 2.1 algorithm update has created significant drop of SERP for many money keywords for websites that used cheap SEO techniques. The webmasters are identifying the ways to overcome this situation that they are facing. If you have experienced a drop in rankings you may be practicing unethical ways of link building that are not recommended by Google. If you notice a drop in traffic after October 4th , we strongly recommend monitoring the traffic using Google Analytics for the next 2 weeks. If you get less traffic after this date, this may designate that your website has been affected by this Penguin 2.1 update. In few cases, you might also receive high traffic to your website; this would designate an outranking competitor took a blow from Penguin 2.1.
Till now Google has not bestowed any official news to overcome Penguin 2.1. But my suggestion and information will help you to improve rankings of your website.
- If you are using any SEO Software for link building, stop using it. Google will not allow any web spam or unethical SEO practices.
- Check the backlinks of your website in Google Webmaster tools
- Download the backlinks and see if there are any links from low quality websites
- Create a list of low quality websites and use Google disavow tool to request Google to ignore the links from those low quality websites.
Recommended backlinking sites
- Stumble Upon
- Blogger & Tumblr
Check and remove the links that are irrelevant to the content. This is because Google will always consider the links that are useful for the readers, so you need to provide content related backlink.
Latest Penguin Updates:
- Penguin 1.0 was released on April 24th 2012( impacted almost 3.1% Queries)
- Penguin 1.2 was released on May 26th 2012(impacted less than 0.1% Queries)
- Penguin 1.3 was released on October 5th 2012(impacted almost 0.3% Queries)
- Penguin 2.0 was released on May 22nd 2013(impacted 2.3% Queries)
- Penguin 2.1 was released on October 4th 2013(impacting almost 1% Queries)
Visit our SEO Training Website to get latest updates and information about Google algorithms (Panda and Penguin).